Welcome to the first ABP of 2016!
We’re kicking off the new year with plenty of fresh mobile app business news including details on the Oculus Rift release, data showing how to sell more stuff in your apps, and plenty more.
Here’s a look at what we covered:
- Soomla Mobile Games report
Soomla just released their mobile games report for Q4 2015. It contains lots of useful insights into monetization and retention in F2P games.
Some key points:
– 45% of app paying users make their first IAP within 1 hour of downloading the game.
– 4% of Android users pay, while only 1% of iOS users pay
– 6 % of all players complete an IAP in Asia, compared to 2.5% in the USA
- Uber /Lyft Claim Their First Casualty
The largest SF taxi service announces it’s plan to file for bankruptcy. This just goes to show how big of an impact services like Uber are having on the taxi industry.
- Flurry Data on usage growth
Flurry just released their latest data on user growth. Key points:
Total sessions up 58% y/y – with 40% estimated from existing users (compared to 20% in 2014 and 10% in 2013).
Time spent in medium sized phones up 85%, phablets up 334% (iphone6+ and Samsung Galaxy note)
Personalisation apps saw sessions balloon more than 330% in 2015. Mostly driven by emoji apps (keyboards).
News & magazine apps grew 135%
Productivity grew 125%
Lifestyle & Shopping gre 81%
- Apple buys AI startup ‘Emotient’
Apple just bought the startup behind facial recognition software designed to work with wearables. Can scan a face and judge sentiment. No comment from Apple on how they plan on using the tech.
- Oculus Rift VR headset coming in March – $599 price tag