In this episode of the App Business Podcast, Andrew and Chris review the latest report from Vision Mobile, the State of Developer Nation Q3 2015.
- Surveys over 13,000 Devs
- Aims to build a comprehensive model of the software industry
- lack of female devs (6% of respondents)
- windows support of various languages (as opposed to Java/Objective C) is asset
- Android is essential (for any revenue model not based predominantly on in-app purchases)
- 37% of mobile devs target both iOS & Android and they are expecting this figure to grow
- IoT is focused on existing hardware for smarthome (hardware is hard and expensive) software is lower barrier, although they are building solutions w/o a defined audience (tinkering?) – and that’s 50% of mobile dev report dev for IoT
- 50% of mobile ecom devs make over $10k mth. 25% over $100k
The eCommerce opportunity in Mobile
The math of ecommerce apps:
$100 item, margin of 5% (affiliate), 25% (retailer) or 50% (if you own the product), = $5-50. Sell anything once to a mobile user and we are talking LTVs of at least $5-$50 per user.
Examples – from most value to least: