In this episode of the App Business Podcast, Andrew and Chris identify 8 strategies for marketing your mobile app for free.
There is the fast and more simple way – buy traffic and downloads. And then there is the arguably harder way of building a fanbase and promoting your app – and the primary cost is time.
How can developers market their apps & develop mobile user acquisition strategies for new users for free? Can free channels be enough or is paid UA always necessary in 2015 and onwards?
- Landing Page / Web Site – you need a home base for your app, even if most of the ranking and traffic will go to your app listing pages on the app stores. Plus – no limits to how you market your app here!
- Press Outreach – building a press kit, reaching out to review sites, connecting with thought leaders. Check out Steve P Young’s new agency that is already showing some huge wins.
- Content marketing. You have an app that tracks spending. Write guest posts about smart financial management with a mention of your app at the end & a link to it on the app stores.
Lots of tools here:
Traction Book – guide for identifying and testing which channels work best for connecting with your target audience
Dan Norris upcoming book – Content Machine (available Aug 10th)
- Social Media – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. but also new channels like Periscope, Vine, Youtube. Use as a platform for messaging and connecting, or an amplification and distribution channel.
- Cross Promotion. Good if you have apps already or can partner with someone. Andrew Chen writes about app constellations and cross promoting apps – what works and what doesn’t and why.
- Partnering with influencers. E.g. NibbleApps partnered with Fitmencook.com to create a cooking app.